An excerpt from Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life! by Deborah Jane Wells (Hay House/Balboa Press 2013)
When I began to get clarity concerning the pervasive constructive impact of loving yourself unconditionally, a number of self-appointed advisors arose, warning that the falling-in-love-with-yourself paradigm might resonate with potential personal coaching clients but it would never fly with serious business professionals.
I’ll admit, I took notice at first. My response was that I didn’t care, that if all I ever accomplished was to help people transform their personal lives, I would have served a high calling in this lifetime. While that lofty-sounding answer was true, it had fear as its underpinning and therefore fell far short of my potential opportunity to foster real, extensive, lasting change on a global scale. The Universe let me go about my business until I was ready to get honest with myself about the fear, examine it with curiosity and respect, heal it with compassion, transform it with love, and accept the full scope of my calling with gratitude.
On that day, I remembered what I always knew in my heart: there is no substantive, sustainable organization transformation without individual personal transformation. I don’t care how compelling the business case, comprehensive the systems, streamlined the processes, clear the roles, elegant the communication, comprehensive the training, or valuable the rewards. There is no meaningful, enduring organization transformation without personal transformation. This is equally true whether the organization is professional (a small business, government agency, or Fortune 500 company) or personal (a marriage, family, or friendship). Significant organization transformation always begins with each individual being fully committed to personal transformation.
All of the destructive and dysfunctional thoughts, feelings, and behaviors we humans exhibit in life personally and professionally have their roots in fear. Fear is the absence of love. If every one of us knew that we were Divinely Sourced and knew that we held limitless intrinsic power, worth, and resources, all of the backstabbing, territorial squabbling, and sabotage would end, along with the raping and pillaging of our environment, the scarcity-based greed, and the cheating, lying, and stealing.
When the energy we have invested in those destructive fear-based endeavors is freed up to be focused on constructive love-based endeavors, the shift will be phenomenal. When genuine self-love takes the place of fear-based self-obsession, what wonderful lives we will create for ourselves.
That’s the type of organization transformation consultant and coach I am. One who helps individuals free themselves from self-imposed, fear-based limitations and harness the power of love so they can step into their greatness and, in constructive, cocreative collaboration with their fellow human beings, change the world.
I’m sometimes asked if, as a life coach, I coach business situations. Yes, I coach everything, because life includes everything. I hold multiple professional coaching certifications, including board certification. I’m also retired from a thirty-year consulting career specializing in human resources and organization transformation, including serving as a senior partner in four of the world’s largest and most prestigious global professional services firms. By virtue of my experience and expertise, I am well qualified to coach executives and professionals at all levels concerning a multitude of business situations.
Going beyond qualifications, the real answer is that life is just life. Despite our best efforts to separate our work and personal lives, those boundaries prove artificial, superficial, and highly permeable. Whether a client comes to me wanting help with a work situation or a personal relationship, inevitably, the lines blur. Wherever you go, there you are. How you do anything is how you do everything. When you fall in love with yourself, everything else falls into place, personally and professionally. Choosing love as your core energy changes your perceptions, opportunities, relationships, and priorities. You release the illusion of separation and embrace the truth of oneness. When love transforms your relationship with yourself, it can’t help but transform your personal life, your work, and the world.
When love transformed my relationship with myself, I could never have imagined all of the ways in which it would transform every aspect of my life. The past four years have been amazing. High productivity of the effortless centered-in-love kind, not the forced march variety. A nonstop shower of insights and opportunities, doors opening right and left, with me stepping across the portals in flow with confidence, enthusiasm, creativity, and serenity. These opportunities included
- sustaining an eighty-pound weight loss;
- freeing myself from a ten-year bout of debilitating depression;
- finding my purpose guiding others on their journeys;
- branding my life coaching practice under Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life;
- launching and expanding my coaching website, http://www.djwlifecoach.com;
- developing Lessons in Living inspired by the journeys of my clients;
- crafting the Discovery Framework that grew out of my experience, including core energy, sensory balance, and your personal board of directors;
- building individual and group coaching programs, seminars, and workbooks based on my Discovery Framework;
- receiving a steady stream of new clients—individuals and groups;
- implementing a regular presence on nine social media platforms, including a weekly blog at http://www.tiny.cc/djwblog;
- hosting a monthly public access group coaching program sponsored by the Colorado Library System in Aurora;
- publishing my first book, Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life, with Hay House/Balboa Press in 2013;
- producing a weekly Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life talk radio show on VoiceAmerica’s EmPOWERment Channel;
- doing multiple speaking engagements;
- completing ordination as a spiritual celebrant;
- being initiated as a Deeksha or oneness blessing giver;
- completing the Karuna level as a Reiki master teacher; and
- being chosen by the city of Aurora as one of two local personalities with a two-page feature interview in the 2013 Aurora Guide.
Mine is a story of hope; yours can be too. The only person controlling your life is you. Turn unexplored possibilities into fulfilling realities by harnessing the transformative power of love to step into your greatness. Choose your energy and change your life!
If you enjoyed this post and would appreciate other valuable tools and insights to support your personal Journey to Wholeness, click here to sign up for FREE download access to additional articles based on my book, Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life (Hay House/Balboa Press 2013):
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: My Journey to Wholeness
- Suffering From Burnout? Love Is The Cure!
- What’s Love Got To Do With Business?
- My Five-Part Mindset For Living In Flow
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Found Out What It Means To Me
- Changes in Gratitude: Changes in Attitude
- Tools For Fostering Flow