With our busy lives, paying attention to taking care of ourselves is more important than ever—yet it’s often the last thing on our minds. To accomplish everything on our to do lists, we work overtime to meet deadlines and use what should be down time to run errands. Long-term stress has a tremendous negative impact on our health—physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
Your answers to the following quiz will help reveal opportunities to restore greater comfort and joy for yourself this holiday season by nurturing, encouraging and delighting yourself in healthier, more constructive ways. You’re worth the effort!
True or False?
- I find peace by relaxing into all that was, is and will be. I let go of the way things used to be. I accept the way things are.
- I foster optimism. I view challenges and obstacles as opportunities in disguise.
- I remember to stop and breathe. I pause throughout my day to recenter myself with stillness and mindful breathing.
- I practice good nutrition and take the time to enjoy my meals. I set aside work, driving and other activities while I eat.
- I do something physical every day even if it’s just a walk around the block or a 15-minute workout.
- I get enough uninterrupted sleep most nights. I pay attention to when I feel tired and make rest a priority.
- I neither deny symptoms of illness or injury nor panic about them. I take constructive action by consulting the appropriate health care professionals to support my wellbeing.
- I do not overcommit myself. I say no when it’s the best choice for me without guilt or shame.
- I can settle for “good enough.” I don’t demand perfection in everything that I do.
- I recognize the value of working in different gears. I know how to keep simple tasks easy so that I can build up my reserves for larger initiatives that will require greater energy.
- I recognize the importance of periodic breaks of various lengths for rest, reflection and play. I sprinkle breaks throughout each day and schedule longer vacations during each year.
- I appreciate my personal relationships and invest the time and energy to help them thrive and flourish.
- I acknowledge and respect my feelings. My emotions are valued messengers concerning where I’m out of alignment with my values and priorities.
- I choose healthy ways to relieve stress. I avoid overdoing coping mechanisms that provide temporary distractions at the price of even more difficult and dangerous long-term consequences.
- If I need help, I ask for it. When I’m upset or feeling discouraged, I seek support from a compassionate spiritual director, coach, therapist, friend or family member.
If you answered false to several of these, you may benefit from taking a closer look at the impact your choices are having on your wellbeing—physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Investments in taking better care of yourself always yield a lifetime of benefits.
Author’s content adapted under license, © 2009 Claire Communications
FREE Coaching Opportunity
If someone offered you a precious gift for an hour of your time, would you be interested? That’s what I offer with a Complimentary Coaching Session. A comp session isn’t a brief demo or sample. It’s a full 45-minute coaching session focused on current real life challenges of your choosing plus 15 minutes to discuss your experience and any questions you may have about my approach to coaching.
There is no expectation or pressure to hire me as your ongoing coach. Providing meaningful, substantive comp sessions with no obligation is one of the ways I demonstrate gratitude and give back to the Universe a small portion of the abundance and opportunity it bestows on me daily.
The real value of a comp session? PRICELESS!
Those who have experienced comp sessions will tell you, when you come to your session open to the possibilities for transformation and fully committed to your own growth, big breakthroughs can happen!
What clients say about
the power of coaching with Deborah
“I knew Deborah before she became a Professional Life Coach. I’ve been amazed at how she has changed her life. When I decided it was time to begin making decisions about the next phase of my life, I knew immediately that Deborah was the person I wanted to work with. Her personal and professional experiences help her guide clients through coaching in a way that is individualized and delightfully eye-opening. Her warmth and sensitivity are immediately apparent, even over the phone. With gentle encouragement and permission, she will guide you through an examination of your life, including difficult experiences. She will help you gain insight from your past choices and then explore possibilities for moving forward in less encumbered ways. When you work with Deborah, your life will take on new meaning and your potential will be limitless!” Chris
“The work I did with Deborah continues to change my life. While I have learned many valuable lessons from her, the greatest was the deep insight that is available to me when I listen to and learn from my own inner wisdom. Her intuition, discernment and encouragement have taught me to trust my own intuition—creating new paths and possibilities for my life. One of Deborah’s great gifts is helping others respect and connect with their inner guidance and through that connection, to form a deeper, more meaningful bond with the collective wisdom and energy of all.” Ryan
What readers say about
the impact of Deborah’s book
“With the same energy and determination she applied in the professional world, Deborah has taken her considerable expertise in human potential and has now set her sights on the largest co-op in the world, humanity. ‘Choose Your Energy, Change Your Life!’ tackles what I believe are the most important questions we each must ask: who am I, where did I come from, why am I here, and what’s love got to do with it (cue Tina Turner)? These are not trivial or philosophical questions for the answers change what we do, why we do it, who and what we love. I am grateful for the opportunity to walk with Deborah on this critical journey.” JD Messenger, Award Winning Author of “11 Days in May: The Conversation That Will Change Your Life”
“To me the great thing about Deborah’s book is how ‘accessible’ she makes the ideas. The Oxygen Mask is probably the single best example. As with so many of the ideas in the book, she explains the principle in such a simple way that it’s got universal application to virtually any reader. I can imagine people having multiple moments of ‘Oh….I get it!’ throughout the book. The stories from her own life as well as stories of her clients’ experiences become stories about all of us—stories about which the reader will think, ‘I am living my own version of this.’ Well done—bravo!” Joe Calloway, Author of “Be The Best At What Matters Most”